In 1923 Geddington and Newton had approximately 1000 inhabitants. The villages were relatively isolated with limited transport links to the outside world. There was no running water and no electricity. The vast majority of homes had to use outside privies, bake their Sunday roast in the large oven at one of the bake houses and dry their washing in one of the communal drying areas of the village…..BUT it did have a newly formed Women’s Institute!
Celebrations and commemorations were on the agenda of last week’s meeting – exactly 100 years since the formation of this new organisation for the women of the two communities.
Almost all the current members were present to honour those 4 original officers from 1923; Mrs Berrill, Mrs Holmes, Miss Sykes and Mrs G Holding and to recognise 4 long standing current members: Joan Higgs, 82 years service, Pam Hopkins and Hazel Brunger, 65 years each and Val Bellamy 50 years service .
Each member was presented with a beautiful hand made trinket box in WI colours; there was cake to admire, prizes to win and an exhibition of those early years and the Resolutions on female policing and better maternity care that the WI fought to get implemented.
There was also a lovely supper and a chance to reflect on the fellowship within the group and across the wider WI. WI were really pleased to welcome Anne Rodwell, the County Chairman, to the event and ask her to present the awards and certificates. Thank you Anne for sharing the celebrations.
Here’s to the next 100 years!!